2013年7月6日星期六

The Last Day of Manitoba Trip

9:30 a.m
I wake up fairly late today. Last night, I was too tired to updated my blog. I came back close to 12, and came to the same hotel that I was lived, but not the same room. Today, my flight will be at 3 o'clock this afternoon. So I will have about 4 to 5 hours to visit the Birds Hill Provincial Park.


Birds Hill Provincial Park is a provincial park in Winnipeg, and I think here is St.Boniface, not sure though. It is located north of Winnipeg on Highway 59,  and covers approximately 35 square kilometers. The area is named after Dr. Curtis Bird, first speaker of the Manitoba provincial legislature in 1873, whose father had been a factor in the Hudson's Bay Company(From Wikipedia). The provincial park features a mixture of aspen and oak forest with open prairie, spruce, bog areas and mixed boreal forest communities, but they are not close together.


The park has a large campground, a horse stable, and is a good place for hiking, biking and horseback riding. .The park was formed from land expropriated from 150 local landowners in 1964, The opening date was on July 15, 1967. Every July since 1974, the park has been the site of the Winnipeg Folk Festival. In September 1984, the park hosted Pope John Paul II during his visit to Manitoba.The north section of the park is designated as an empty area, with no development at all. The soil is really sandy, doesn't look like soil at all, and the area has many oak trees. There are many gravel pits that surround the park. The park contains a small cemetery where many of the early settlers of the area are buried.




 After I came out, it is already 1 o'clock. So I guess I have to go to the airport now. It is a nice trip and I am very enjoy it, even I am really tired now.


When I was on the plane, I think about some problem, and push pull factors of this province.
problem: 1. Manitoba has about a population of about 1,000,000 with a lot of lakes and resources which means the soil is very rich too, but doesn't seem like there is very good use of these resources and develop of economy.
              2. Manitoba's economy is heavily based on their farming, not a lot of industry can see in Manitoba. And a lot of empty land that can be seen in Manitoba as well.


push factors: population is too small, not very good business based, too much water and protected land
pull factors: farms for farmer, beautiful land, really good resources

没有评论:

发表评论