2013年7月2日星期二

Catfish Capital of the World -- Selkirk

6:30 a.m
Good morning, Winnipeg. This is my third day in Manitoba and today is my -------- birthday. I am 18 years old now. I am going the the Catfish Capital of the World -- the Selkirk City which is located northeast of the provincial capital Winnipeg on the Red River. It only takes about 30 to drive from Winnipeg to Selkirk. Now I am ready to visit Selkirk now. I will leave the hotel at about 7:00.

7:27 a.m
It is very close from Winnipeg to Selkirk. A vertical lift bridge over the Red River connects Selkirk with the smaller town of East Selkirk. Selkirk is a city, but is very small area with very little people It just like a small town. It only about nine thousand people live here, and the population is decreasing from 2001 to 2006. It has an area of 24 km square, which is not really big as a city. But I think there are a lot of this kind of small city in Canada. Even a small village in China has more population than it. The thing I don't know before is Selkirk is a kind of cat which is match to my last name--miao. So it is a good place for my 18th birthday. Meow ^.^.......

50°08′37″N 96°53′02″W (From GeoHack)
Selkirk is located northeast of Manitoba's capital city -- Winnipeg.

Selkirk is such a tiny town that I have to put the picture of map so big to see the city on the map. The mainstays of the local economy are tourism, a local steel mill. The city was named in honour of 5th Earl of Selkirk, who obtained the grant to first establish a colony in the Red River area.

The present-day city is near the center of the 530,000 km square area purchased by the Earl of Selkirk from the Hudson's Bay Company. The first settlers of the Red River Colony arrived in 1813. Lord Selkirk is created the the Red River Settlement.

I went to Marine Museum of Manitoba first. It was established in 1972 to gather ships, artifacts, and items relating to shipping, to tell the story of the development and the operation of transportation on Lake Winnipeg and the Red River.

The Marine Museum is a non-profit organization operated with support from the City of Selkirk and nearby businesses. The museum’s purpose is to collect, preserve, research, exhibit and interpret its collection of historical artifacts. There were a lot of collections of boats there, and all of them were really old boat that nobody is using it right now.

Among its collection of ships, the Motor Ship Keenora was the first acquired by the museum. Abandoned in the Selkirk Slough in 1966, the MS Keenora was purchased from Marine Transport Navigation Company in 1972, by a group of twenty Selkirk businessmen. In the summer of 1973 the Keenora was removed from the waters of the Red River on the Selkirk dry dock, then dragged on its keel, across the grass of Selkirk Park, to its present location, near the park entrance. (From Wikipedia)
I drove along the road, and I saw a huge "fish" beside the road. It is the Chuck The Channel Cat. It was roadside attraction that present the city Selkirk. I heard from Mr. Warner that in Manitoba or some of the place, each city or town have their own attraction to present their city like in Duncan, the huge hockey stick. Selkirk is also home to Chuck the Channel Cat, a fiberglass representation of a catfish that measures 7.6 m long. The name Chuck was chosen to honor local sport fisherman Chuck Norquay, who drowned while doing what he loved best — fishing in the Red River.

I took some picture of the street of Selkirk when I passed by.It was all small building.


 
 

Then I went to the south side of the Winnipeg Lake which is about 15 minutes to Selkirk. Lake Winnipeg is a large, 25000 km square lake in central North America, in Manitoba, with about 20 kilometers north of the city of Selkirk. It is the largest lake within the borders of southern Canada, and it is part of the most undeveloped large watershed of southern Canada.

 

Lake Winnipeg is the sixth-largest freshwater lake in Canada, but it is very deep. It is the eleventh-largest freshwater lake on Earth. Even the the lake is not really big, it conatins a lot of water. The east side of the lake has pristine boreal forests



It is believed that Henry Kelsey was the first European to see the lake in 1690. He adopted the Cree language name for the lake, meaning "muddy waters".

Also, in Selkirk, a local steel mill, and a major mental health facility are famous too. 
The Selkirk Mental Health Centre, the largest mental health facility in the province, is a major employer in the city. The Centre's surroundings are a park-like campus on the outskirts of the city.
I drove back to Winnipeg after all, and got to my hotel and had a dinner. Another busy day, and I have no time to celebrate my birthday. I bought a cake from outside and celebrate by myself, and the thing I really want to do right now is sleep. -.-

没有评论:

发表评论